What you need to know about COVID-19
- Coronavirus (COVID 19) is an illness caused by a virus that can spread from person to person through small droplets from the nose or mouth which are expelled when a person with covid 19 sneezes, coughs or speaks.
- Covid 19 is now a pandemic affecting most countries globally including Botswana.
- The most common symptoms of Covid 19 are fever, dry cough and tiredness.
- Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, sore throat or diarrhea.
- COVID-19 symptoms can range from mild (or no symptoms) to severe illness.
- To date, there is no vaccine and no specific antiviral medicines against COVID 19.
Employee / Employer Responsibility
Guest Management Procedures
- Apply for Travel Permits for staff in line with prescribed numbers
- Management briefing on set COVID 19 protocols (Government Return to Work Guidelines)
- Display Covid 19 notices liberally for employees and guests including placing brochures in rooms for guest information
- Training on COVID 19 and appointments of COVID 19 Champion to facilitate communication between employees, guests and the National Emergency Operation Centre
Screening and testing of Employees
- Provision of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and necessary chemicals for disinfection
- All cleaning attendants/housekeepers to change disposable PPE (such as gloves, aprons) and sanitize their hands upon exit from a room and entry into the next room
- Provide Water/Soap or Sanitizer at all Main Entrances and Exits
- Provide masks, disposable gloves, hair restraints and apron for Employees
- Ensure observance of social distancing (2 meters from next person) and hygiene and close off all areas where it is not possible to comply with this requirement eg, Swimming Pools, Saunas and Spas
- Record temperature twice a day for Guests and Employees (Temperature recording at entrance (Maximum 37.4 degrees Celsius)
- Immediately isolate any suspect cases and contact the National Emergency Operation Centre
- Referral of “suspected cases” to health sector
- Send all testing data for employees and guests to the National Emergency Operation Centre daily @ Toll Free number: 0800 600111/16649 and email email@example.com.
- Conduct daily employee and guest briefs on COVID 19 updates and Government protocols for individual safety and care.
- Provide employees with transport where necessary
- Employee Check in/out register sent to National Emergency Operation Centre
- Maintain and submit Employee, Guest and Visitor entry register to National Emergency Operation Centre daily @ Toll Free number: 0800 600111/16649 and email firstname.lastname@example.org
Resumption of duty
- Comply with set COVID-19 protocols (Return to Work Guidelines) per Government Protocols and training.
- Wear prescribed Protective Personal Equipment (PPE) i.e. disposable gloves, disposable aprons etc at all times
- Clean and sanitize surroundings regularly
- Frequent touch points (e.g. door handles, staircase rails etc.) must be sanitized twice a day
- Immediately Report any ailment similar to identified COVID- 19 symptoms
- Be a COVID-19 Champion Health
Protocols in and outside of your area of work
Front Office and Guest Arrivals
- Demarcate the front office accordingly to ensure social distancing (1-2 metres markings on the floor).
- Screen all guests on arrival and departure and maintain a register.
- Ensure compliance with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) requirements as prescribed.
- Facilitate COVID-19 protocols induction for all guests at check-in.
- Ensure sanitisers of all guest stationery and amenities.
- Provide sanitizers for guest use at the reception and other public common areas.
- Sanitise and seal all keys prior to guest arrival.
- Employees to wear gloves when handling cash and bankcards.
- Vehicle, motorboat, mokoro, charter plane transfers or activities to adhere to social distancing protocols and hygiene i.e. prescribed number of passengers per vehicle, sanitisers, masks etc.
- Communal areas (swimming pools, boardrooms/ Meeting rooms, restaurants, curio shops, lobbies, gyms etc)
- All meeting rooms/boardrooms to remain closed until officially permitted in accordance with Government Protocols. The communal areas shall be for the exclusive use of the guests(residents) at the premises.
- Gyms, beauty spas and swimming pools shall remain closed until officially permitted in accordance with Government Protocols.
- Communal areas shall be cleaned and disinfected two to three times a day or after guests have utilised them.
- Dining times shall be prescribed and be strictly complied with ensuring that guests are not in a place for more than two hours, social distancing complied with at all times.
- All non-essential decorative items to be removed from communal areas e.g. magazines, newspapers, flower pots including hand towels in bathrooms.
- Sanitise all touch points on a regular basis.
- All public bathrooms to be equipped with sanitisers.
- Hand-wash stations to be provided in strategic points.
- All non-essential decorative items to be removed e.g. magazines, newspapers, flower pots, beverage items i.e. teas/coffees etc.
- Constant monitoring by management and supervisors to ensure processes and procedures are being followed. Provide room amenities at check-in or on request by guest and dispose off or sanitise accordingly any amenities not utilised at check out.
- All mattresses and pillows must have protectors.
- All bed linen must be washed, ironed and changed daily
- Vacuum cleaning of floor carpets and rugs and heat vacuuming of curtains daily.
- Placement of antibacterial gels/soap in each bedroom
- All extra bed linen, blankets and bedcovers must be sealed.
- All employees to always wear PPE when changing linens.
- All conference venues to remain closed until officially permitted in accordance with Government Health Protocols.
- Upon opening seating places to be spaced out to adhere to social distancing guidelines.
- Areas shall be cleaned and disinfected two to three times a day or after guests have utilised them.
- Usage times shall be prescribed and be strictly complied with ensuring that guests are not in the conference room for more than two hours.
- All non-essential items to be removed from conference areas e.g. magazines, newspapers and flower pots.
- Sanitise all frequent touch points such as stair case rails, door handles etc on a regular basis.
- Constant monitoring by management and supervisors to ensure processes and procedures are being followed.
Food and Beverage
- Restaurant and lounge area seating places to be spaced out to adhere to social distancing guidelines.
- Service of buffet menu shall adhere to health protocols i.e social distancing and no exchange of utensils.
- Mini Bars in guest rooms should not be stocked.
- All room service equipment to be sanitized before and after each serving period and as required.
- Cold food i.e. meats fruits etc to be served sealed.
Back of house and waste areas
- Provide disposal facilities for hazardous and clinical waste.
- Provide staff with appropriate PPE to facilitate safe handling of waste.
- Ensure Health Protocols by suppliers and all deliveries.